Monday 11 August 2014

Monday that Changed my Life.....


The Monday That Changed My Life….

Hi Friends,
I would like to share something very important with all of you my runner friends.
I had recently gone to attend The South Asian convention of our company at Pattaya, Thailand. I was there from 30th April till 6th May.  Since I could not run the whole week, my colleague Nick from China and I decided to go for a long run on 5th May which was a Monday. A Monday I will never forget and which has impacted my life and guided me to the path I want to take going forward.
Nick is a good runner and runs 42 in under 4 hours and fit by any fitness standard.  Nick had already finished his breakfast and was waiting for me at the lobby when I arrived. We met at 5.45 am.  After a little bit of stretching we both hit the road. It was more of a chit chat run, we both were enjoying our pace and were sharing our experiences while running.  My Garmin showed 9.3 km and I told nick that we will make a U turn when we reach 10km. Nick told me that he wanted to take a break and have water and urged me to go ahead and complete my 10 km mark . I came running back after the 10k turn and saw Nick walking so I joined him, I asked him if he was ok and he told me he was fine. We were walking and talking for some distance and I told him that we would start running again whenever he was ready. We had another 4 to 5 km to return back to our hotel.
After walking for 5 min or so we started running again. While we were running Nick was telling me about his work in China, how he is used to work late hours, sometime he doesn't get much time for running etc. We had almost reached the 12 km mark when he suddenly said “wait!” and FELL DOWN , before I could realise what was happening and tried to get a hold of him he fell flat on the ground. I was shocked by what had happened and tried to do whatever came to my mind first. I made him sit and splashed water on his face and kept saying “NICK?..NICKK??..open your eyes, please talk to me..NICK?..NICK??..  are you Ok??, can you hear me?? NICK..NICKK!!”.  This sounded far even to my own ears and was not aware if any of my words were reaching him at all.
His eyes were closed and he was breathing very hard. He started making some noise with his mouth wide open, his hands and legs became stiff, people who gathered around were trying to help me as much as possible to revive him. Somebody put a spoon in his mouth assuming he was having fits. Some of them were applying balm on his neck and making him sniff it. I could see people around were very concerned and very helpful. When I checked his pulse, it was beating frantically, his hands and legs were getting stiffer and yellowish in colour and he was gasping for breath.
After a while the people around and me took turns and tried CPR and mouth to mouth respiration to revive him, simultaneously when I was doing this I was asking people to call for transport or Ambulance to take him to the hospital.
People around were doing the best they could, after all it was a life in front of us which was trying to stay alive. I could see some people on the road who were controlling the traffic and with their wireless were calling out for help in Thai language. The Ambulance eventually arrived and we were on our way to the hospital. He was taken straight to the ICU and was given CPR.
I heaved a sigh of relief when he was finally in the hands of the medics because even though all of us did our best they were the professionals who would keep him alive. The shock was slowly leaving me and realisation of what happened and could have happened hit me. I realised my Garmin was still on so I switched it off. It seemed like a lifetime from the time Nick fell on the road to the time I handed him over but my Garmin reading said 21 minutes.  He started breathing partially after 30 minutes or so and they shifted him to another hospital to check his Cardio. The results showed that he had one blockage in his chest and out of three tumours one burst in his stomach and there was internal bleeding too.
I have been keeping in touch with his folks up on his progress and alas last week I have got to know that he has had multiple organ failure and they have given him a few days to live. 
I did my best, I gave it my 100% but it was beyond my hands to save him.
This incident really shook me at the same time I become a strong person. These are the following things I assessed must have gone wrong with Nick even though he was a fit runner.
1.       I think he did not do his whole body check-up regularly, if he would have done his body check-up he would have known about blockage and tumors and also he would have taken care about his blood pressure too.
2.       Too much of work in the previous week stressed him out maybe he didn't have proper sleep too. His blood pressure was high, but he used to think that if he runs he feels nice.
3.       When he stopped at 9.3 km he must have got the indication but never disclosed it to me. That’s the blunder all runners do, because of many reasons runners hesitation to disclose to the other runner that they are feeling tired or they are feeling uneasiness.
If one don’t feel comfortable to keep up with the runner who run along with you or if one feel any kind of uneasiness, please reduce the speed or walk for some time, if not that movement might be your last movement of your life. I am sorry to be very blunt. If you have done routine medical check-up then fine carry on.
I have learned the following things from this incident:
1.       In case of an emergency like this immediately look for some transport to move the person to the nearest hospital, and on the way to hospital keep doing the CPR till you reach the hospital. Please consult the doctor for details. Http: //depts.washington.edu/learncpr/index. html
2.       Always carry Emergency contact number and blood group details when you are running.
3.       Please learn personally how to do CPR, you can save somebodies life because of this.
4.       Its normal tendency, if you are doing any sort of exercise or if you are a runner, people say that you run so much you can eat anything, you will easily burn it out. I feel it’s a wrong perception.  I was suffering with high cholesterol problem till last 6 months, I have been running since almost 10 years now. Doctor told me that running or any physical exercise won’t reduce cholesterol. Now my cholesterol is normal because of my diet.
5.       Each person’s body type is different, so one should learn to listen to their body.
Outside you may looking very fit and unless you do your medical you won’t know what is store for you inside your body.

I have decided to make “Healthy Running” my mission, I don’t want any other runner to die because he is unaware of his health issues or neglecting his health. It is my personal agenda to create this awareness and have asked my doctor friends who are runners to join this crusade to spread awareness.  I urge you to do your bit to save a runner friend.  
Nick is no more but for me he lives on.    Happy Running Guys!


This was clicked on that Monday Morning before the run.


12 comments:

  1. after all we run to stay fit ,HEALTHY RUNNING,Thnks for your guidence

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very well written and it is indeed important to do detailed medical check up once every year and eat healthy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sarvesh. Yes you are absolutely right .

      Delete
  3. What an eye-opener!
    Did you find out what happened to Nick? Is he alive?
    I feel for his kids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well Ravi. As he fell down he was unconscious. After a week's time they shifted him to china and few days later he died. May his Soul rest in peace.

      Delete
  4. Thank you satish... Such a nice article and at this time when we are all pushing ourselves for personal best. Especially with WhatsApp and facebook creating peer pressure, a lot of us have forgotten the core reason why we started to run behind our quest for personal bests and big ego that doesn't allow us to stop even when our body says so. Timely eye opener for all of us. I have started respecting you even more after reading this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Santa for your kind words. I have shared my view to one of the FB queries as below ..

      I have been running since 2004. Successfully ran 7 Comrades and looking forward to running my 8th Comrades in June 2017. Apart from that, I have run many half / full and multi day runs too. When I did my yearly medical check up a few years ago, I got to know my cholesterol levels were high in spite of leading a healthy lifestyle!! My doctor informed me that my high cholesterol levels could be genetic as it runs in my family. So I'm on medication to keep cholesterol under check. I might have to take it life long at a lower dose as recommended by my doc.
      The fact remains that, I am feeling and looking younger and fitter with every passing year!! I have a very exciting running schedule lined up for 2017. I always listen to my body and accordingly push myself.
      For me personal happiness comes first followed by PB in my races. I enjoy my running and of late I enjoy it more when I'm running for others.... No stress

      Delete
  5. Nicely penned and in formative article

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Sir for sharing this eye opening experience. We get into running / cycling for the betterment of our health but some how after getting in contact with our peers we get into the race of doing many events and eventually harm our body. As you have very well said "we should learn to listen to our body" should be followed religiously.

    Thanks again for sharing this eye opener.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Satish is a good friend among all us in running community, very sad to know about his experience at Thailand where he has encountered his friend Nick had collapsed during road running. He along with many other tried to revive him with all their efforts including insertion of spoon and throwing water on face. As Satish mentioned, Nick was having noisy breathing, he was definitely ont having cardiac arrest. Everyone has contributed on their part for resuscitation of Nick till he arrived at Hospital. At hospital he was told having blocked in chest and bursting of one tumor in stomach. It is not clear what kind of blocks were there or what kind of tumor in stomach. Likely to be some bleeding tumor in stomach giving rise to sudden deterioration of his condition, impaired blood supply to vital organs like heart and brain resulting unconscious. Almost 10 km run along with bleeding inside abdomen has can result in failure of heart to function. There is likely deficiency of blood supply and oxygen supply to many organs of body leading to multi organ failure. But running itself without any previous disease is not always risk free. The risk increases in athletes who are less trained in comparison to well trained athletes, as cardio respiratory endurance is comparatively less. Apart from training, running itself is a exhaustive process, leading to fluid, electrolyte and hydrogen ion imbalance. All those can give rise to rhythm disturbances in the heart leading to cardiac arrest . Even people having best of health has found to have cardiac arrest in Marathon running. But the incidence is very rare. The incidence among runners during the time he is not running is much less in comparison to the general population but running itself increases by stressing on the heart by surge of hormone called catecholamine. Among the younger population the arrest is many cases due to preexisting congenital heart disease and among older patients is due to atherosclerosis of artery supplying blood to heart. Otherwise life is never been risk free. Always There is some or other types of risk amongst most healthy people. Definitely running prevents most of the chronic diseases which can be categorized life long disease. As Satish pointed out, we must regularly check our health and must take care. During running we must not overtly exhaust ourselves, any sign of difficulty we must stop. As Satish pointed out we must know the CPR, the runners can help themselves in any eventuality of cardiac arrest. Properly carried out CPR definitely save the life. Another important equipment which must be popularised in our country is AED. This help immensely in cardiac arrest and learning of application of equipment among general population is not difficult. We may think about availability of AED in runners routes. All of must know use of AED as early use will help immensely in saving life

    ReplyDelete